Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Selfless love......

So I thought I would share with everyone part of why I was so motivated to run the half marathon and why I want to keep running. The video I have posted below is about Team Hoyt, an amazing father-son duo. Basically, when Rick was born in 1962 the umbilical cord coiled around his neck and cut off oxygen to his brain, therefore leaving him paralyzed and mentally challenged. The doctors told his parents to just give up hope because their son would never be able to do anything. Dick, the father was determined to prove them wrong. Since Rick couldn't talk most of his life, they decided got a computer for Rick to type out how he felt or what he wanted. So,one day after his father agreed to push and run with him in a five mile race, Rick typed that he finally felt like he wasn't handicapped anymore. Needless to say, that gave Dick the determination to start running marathons and competing in triathlons with Rick. They have running, bicycling and swimming in several triathlons and marathons. So, this inspiring story is one of the reasons why I wanted to try a half marathon and the father's selfless love has further driven me to want to try a full marathon. Honestly, one day I would love to be able to do the same thing with my brother. My brother is also paralyzed and I would be the happiest girl in the world if I could bring that kind of joy in his life one day.


No comments: