Monday, October 20, 2008

Viral media....week 7

I'm going to start out by quoting David Scott "create a number of campaigns and see what hits, then nurture the winners along." I like this quote a lot, but I also disagree with the statement. First, I believe that for viral media/marketing to truly work, a campaign must be extremely innovative and not forced as mentioned by Paul Gillin. If you look at the recent history of viral marketing campaigns such as the Diet Coke and Mentos experiment, you will notice the creativity it took to make the video. Plus the two men who created this video were not affiliated with either company. However, Mentos took advance of this video and pushed the viral excitement forward. This goes along with what David Scott said, where winners should be nurtured and pushed along. Nonetheless, I don't really think that a number of campaigns need to be created. Launching several campaigns can become costly. Also Paul Gillin states that the more campaigns launched, the more crowded the space becomes. Therefore, in my opinion, I don't think the quantity of campaigns matters, its the quality. A company must launch campaigns that are unique and creative, rather than multiple weak campaigns.

No comments: