Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My accomplishment! week 8

After running a half-marathon all I can say is, wow! I definitely thought that this would be the one and only half marathon I would ever participate in, but after running, I am so ready to train for a full marathon. My finishing time wasn't that great, I finished 13 miles in 2 hours and 2 minutes. I guess I'm just glad I made it and was able to run the entire time. If you have never participated in any kind of marathon let me briefly set the scene and describe what happened. I arrived in downtown Columbus this past Sunday around 7 a.m. to warm-up, then at the 7:25 I lined up at my time interval (10 minutes per mile) with about 11,000 runners and walkers. Then, the gun went off and the OSU fight song played, haha. Everyone was excited and jumping up and down. However, we walked for about the first 10 minutes because we were all packed so tightly together. Once we started running, I choose a running partner and kept a steady pace, little did I know this person was running the full marathon and had every intention of keeping a faster pace so I let them go ahead. However, around mile 7 I found another running mate, named Katie. She and I bonded for about 5 miles and then I left her go as well, haha. Along the way we had water/Gatorade stations, but drinking from a cup while running is quite a challenge. Plus, bands were playing along the way to keep us pumped. By mile 12 every joint and muscle in my body was aching, but I continued to push myself. Crossing the finish line was so amazing, and by that time everyone was so spread out it felt like the whole crowd was cheering just for me! Needless to say, I was on a runner's high and still am! I was worn down and motivated all at the same time. My full marathon training will begin in a few short months!!

1 comment:

Evan E. Roberts said...

That is absolutely amazing that you did that!!! Congrats kiddo!